Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Impromptu Life

In my classes I have organized an activity to improve the students' oral English by having them give impromptu speeches. I spent a lesson teaching tips and strategies for the speeches and then gave an example impromptu speech of my own by selecting a topic out of a hat and delivering a short speech for the class. Now each class 5 students give impromptu speeches of their own. I told the students that this activity will help their confidence to use their English when they do not have a lot of time to prepare; to think on their feet.

Similarly, everything in life here seems impromptu and I had a good example of that today.

Last night one of Megan's students texted her to ask if she could give a speech at the opening ceremony of a Foreign Languages Festival today. Unfortunately (or fortunately), Megan had a class at the time of the event so she had to decline. I mentioned that if they could not find anyone else, I'd offer to speak. I have Wednesdays off so I figured I should do something. The students immediately texted back and said it would be great if I could do it (they sure spent a long time looking for a replacement for Megan). They did not give much information other than that I would have to give some opening remarks for about 5 minutes to students who are interested in participating in the events of the Foreign Languages Festival. The students suggested we meet at 4:15 for the ceremony which started at 4:30.

I did not think much about the event today and I went about my normal business of lesson planning. At 4:15 I met the students and they led me over to where the opening ceremony for this festival was held. As we walked, I was told the festival held English speaking and debate contests, drama contests, and showed some English movies. Anyone could sign up for these events and my job was to encourage the students to do this and join their "English Corner" clubs.

I expected this would be a casual event, like a club fair at an American college, so I didn't really plan my speech. However, like most things since I've arrived in China my expectation did not meet reality. We walked into an auditorium with roughly 500 students sitting in the audience and a panel of ten "distinguished guests" on the stage. To the left of the panel was a podium with the university crest on it and flowers surrounding it. I saw several photographers and one guy filming the event with a large camera. The students who brought me to the event sat me down in the front row of the audience, nearest the podium, and said that two people would say some things in Chinese and then I would be the third person to speak. A REAL LIFE IMPROMPTU SPEECH!

Next to me sat an older Japanese man in a suit (thank goodness I threw on some khakis!) who was reviewing his prepared speech for the students who were studying Japanese. I said a brief "konnichiwa" and "hajimemashite" (hooray 4 years of Japanese study!) and then starting thinking about what I would say. At that time the event started and a few of the panel members spoke for about 5 minutes each and towards the end of the second speech I heard "....Jordan..." and the speaker was motioning me to the stage. 

I got up there and spoke for a few minutes about the importance of learning foreign languages and how this Festival is such a good opportunity to practice and everyone who can should sign up for the events. It was a poor speech, definitely not my best.

After me the Japanese guy got up and spoke for about 10 minutes, pausing for translation to Chinese. I've rarely seen a 5'2", 120 pound Japanese man so animated. His speech reminded me of one of my favorite episodes of "The Office" where Dwight gives a speech at a sales conference and, following Jim's advice, speaks very passionately: shouting and hitting the podium in the style of history's greatest dictators. It was very intense. Of what little Japanese I could understand he was repeatedly emphasizing the importance of studying.

Once the Japanese guy was done, a few more speeches were given in Chinese for the next 15 or 20 minutes and then everyone got up to leave. On the way out I asked the students who brought me there if what I said was appropriate and if they thought everyone understood. They said that the students understood and that my speech was perfect. I'm sure they were just being polite, but I suppose an ESL audience is very forgiving.

2 comments:

khwaugh said...

As I read this post, I just kept saying: "Oh my God!".......Really! It seems everything you & Meggo are asked to do there is very hap-hazard & done with so little warning - or time for preparation! Congrats to you for keeping calm - but REALLY - couldn't they have better explained what in the world you were in for!?! You're a very good sport!

Matthew Bloem said...

i'm ashamed to admit that i just read through your blog for the first time. it's hilarious. i couldn't stop laughing. i promise i'll be a better brother from now on.